Snow Plowing Policy
Snow Plowing PolicySnow removal is dependent on the type of precipitation, temperatures, and forecasts. Mexico has several tools to help clear streets, including the application of brine to pre-treat areas and help keep ice and snow from sticking to the pavement, cinders to help provide traction, salt to help melt snow and ice, and plowing to remove snow and ice. Some or all of these tools are used with any particular event.
A plowing plan is in place that first concentrates on arterial and collector streets, called priority 1 streets. These are streets that help us get from place to place around town and carry the majority of the traffic. Local streets in neighborhoods will be plowed when the first priority streets are cleared. If a storm continues, it may be necessary for crews to return to the first priority streets before getting all the local streets done.
The first priority streets are also those that are identified as snow emergency routes. Not every storm will be declared a snow emergency, but when accumulations of 4 inches or more are forecast, residents should be prepared to move their vehicles off the snow emergency routes if a snow emergency is declared. This will help the city get these routes cleared.
The city does not treat or clear private drives or private parking lots. Owners should make arrangements with the contractor of their choice to clear them. Also, when cleaning the driveway the snow should be pushed to the downward side to keep it from going back in the drive when the city clears the streets.
Emergency Snow RoutesThe Department of Public Works would like to remind citizens about the designated Emergency Snow Routes (map) and how the city plans to make getting around on snow covered streets less of a bother for city residents.
There are 13.279 miles of Emergency Snow Routes and they are as follows:
- Liberty Street from Clark Street to Agricultural
- Liberty Street from Muldrow to Morris
- Boulevard from Muldrow to Elmwood Drive
- Clark from Boulevard to Love Street
- Lakeview from Morris to West city limits
- Teal Lake from U.S. Highway 54 to Fairground
- Fairground from Teal Lake to Lakeview
- Morris from Boulevard to Highway 22 (Monroe)
- Love Street from Agricultural to North Western
- Jefferson from Liberty to North city limits
- Kentucky from Highway 22 to North city limits
- Summit from Jefferson to Agricultural
- Omar from Boulevard to Lakeview
- Hendricks from Kentucky to Jefferson
- Breckenridge from Fairground to Green Boulevard
After the Emergency Snow Routes have been cleared, the other streets will be cleared based on the traffic load of the given street.